Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mac SSH stuck after password

I love my Mac for the fact that it comes with better built in SSH client in terminal. You can just SSH from the terminal without downloading any software. I use SSH everyday for many hours which tells you how much I depend on it. Today, strangely my Mac stopped connecting to the remote server. It would ask me for the password and then do nothing. That means, I am able to connect to the server but can not use the remote shell.

SSH on mac stuck - Solution

To see where is your system having issues try running ssh -vv ................, vv will turn on the verbose mode and you will be able to see where exactly is the error. If this doesn't work, try typing a wrong password and you should again see the same screen asking for password. This means you can talk to the server without any issues but somehow the process doesn't finish. The reason for this is the corrupted configuration in your tmp directory. On a Mac the temp directory is under private directory. So all you have to do is

rm -r /private/tmp/*

No comments:

Post a Comment