Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No upgrade option in Update Manager in Ubuntu 9.04

While working on a project recently, I had a need to upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu. I followed the following steps mentioned at the Ubuntu help page.
  • Start System/Administration/Update Manager.
  • Click the Check button to check for new updates.
  • If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
  • A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
  • Click Upgrade.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.
Although, the first 3 steps worked as intended I did not see any option to upgrade. My Ubuntu was version 9.04 and I wanted to upgrade to 10.04. I understand that I need to update to 9.10 first and then to 10.4 but there was no option for that.

The Final Solutions

After looking here and there I tried something that doesn't make much sense. Instead of opening the update manager through menus, I opened it through run command. That is, I pressed Alt + F2 and then typed
update-manager -d
. The -d option helped and I could see the upgrade button. Then I followed the steps mentioned above and was able to upgrade my Ubuntu to 9.10. Same way I can now upgrade to 10.04 too. Hope this will come handy. Leave comments if this info was useful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment